Latest posts by FelMasterMind (see all)
- Where Can I Buy Cool Michigan Themed T Shirts? - March 22, 2019
- The Best Ice Cream In The U.S. Is located in Traverse City - March 18, 2019
- Things To Do In Traverse City On A Stay-Cation For Spring Break - March 15, 2019
- SCRUMPTIOUS APPLE BACON STUFFING
- KID-FRIENDLY MICHIGAN APPLE PIE BITES
- HOMEMADE CRESCENT DINNER ROLL DOUGH RECIPE
Food, glorious food. Better yet, food, glorious homemade food! It’s that time of year again where fall harvests deliver exceptionally delicious end results for all delicacies homemade.
With Thanksgiving right around the corner, there couldn’t be a better time to talk turkey about incredible foodstuffs that will get any Thanksgiving table set to go for the occasion. Great dining experiences begin with no-fail Thanksgiving recipes that promise all of the traditional flavors of the day, and then some. Get ready, taste buds!
SCRUMPTIOUS APPLE BACON STUFFING
This delectable stuffing/dressing will knock the socks off of boxed or boring turkey stuffing recipes. Wait until your kitchen fills itself up with the mouthwatering aromas of these savory and fragrant ingredients.
Preheat oven: 375 degrees F. / Serves 12
16 cups (1/2-inch) bread cubes
2 small, chopped Golden Delicious apples
8 ounces raw bacon
1 large, chopped red onion
3 cups turkey or chicken broth
1 cup golden raisins
10 Tbsp.(5 ounces)unsalted butter, cut into pats
1 Tbsp. fresh minced tarragon
2 tsp fresh minced thyme
1 tsp fennel seeds (or 1/2 tsp ground fennel seeds)
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
Ground black pepper
1. Grease a 9″ x 13″ pan.
2. Dry all chopped bread cubes on a baking sheet overnight. (Placing in a 300-degree oven for 20 minutes also works.)
3. Finely chop bacon. Cook in a large skillet until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet to a paper towel-covered glass plate (no plastic) and set aside to drain and cool. Drain grease from skillet, leaving any bacon bits on the bottom of the pan in skillet.
4. In a large bowl, beat parsley and eggs together. Set aside.
5. Over medium heat, add 8 tablespoons of butter to the skillet that bacon was cooked in. Add tarragon, fennel, thyme, apples, and onions to pan. Lightly salt and pepper. Sauté for 5 minutes or until ingredients have softened.
6. Add chicken stock to skillet. Boil. Remove from heat.
7. Mix parsley and eggs together. Add and combine the stock mixture, raisins, bacon and bread cubes, lightly salt and pepper.
8. Put entire mixture in a greased 9″ x 13″ pan. Dot with 2 tablespoons of remaining butter. Cover with foil. Bake covered for 30 minutes. Remove foil cover and bake for another 20 minutes.
KID-FRIENDLY MICHIGAN APPLE PIE BITES
This recipe is an easy apple pie option kids and adults can sink their culinary creativity into. It also serves as a great dessert to be eaten alone, with hands or topped with a creamy scoop of old-fashioned vanilla ice cream. Refrigerated crescent roll dough is pre-made in this recipe. Homemade crescent roll dough recipe is optional (and better).
Preheat oven: 375 degrees F. / Serves 4-6
1 8-ounce can refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
1 small Mall Michigan Braeburn apple cut into 8 slices
3 Tablespoons melted butter
1/4 c. sugar
1 teaspoon freshly ground cinnamon (freshly ground is better, but bottled is fine)
1. Line baking sheet with baking parchment paper.
2. Separate refrigerated crescent dough into 8 triangles on baking sheet.
3. Combine cinnamon and sugar in small bowl.
4. Combine sliced apples, 1/2 of the melted butter and 1/2 of the sugar mixture in another bowl.
5. Add one coated apple slice per triangle and wrap apple starting with wide part of dough.
6. Brush with remaining butter and dust tops of wrapped triangles with remaining sugar mixture.
7. Bake 12 minutes or until lightly golden.
HOMEMADE CRESCENT DINNER ROLL DOUGH RECIPE
Preheat oven: 375 degrees F. / Yield: 24
Homemade crescent dinner rolls offer enticing dining diversity. Prepare as a side, add a little fresh garlic and rosemary or serve up as tasty desserts with favorite fillings and toppings.
1 pkg. active dry yeast (1/4 ounce)
1/2 cup sugar + 1 Tablespoon sugar, divided
3/4 cup warmed milk (110-115 deg F.)
3 large organic/free range eggs, beaten lightly
1/2 cup softened butter
5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Melted butter (not the softened butter ingredient) to be used for brushing on crescent prior to baking).
1 teaspoon salt
1 large greased bowl
A designated surface area, large enough for sprinkling flour onto a surface for kneading and shaping the dough.
1. Large bowl – dissolve yeast in warm water, plus 1 tablespoon sugar. Let stand for 5 minutes.
2. Add milk, eggs, soften butter, salt, and left-over sugar.
3. Gently add enough flour to create a stiff dough that is somewhat mold-able (not too crumbly, not too moist).
4. Place dough on a floured surface and knead gently until smooth and pliable for approximately 6-8 minutes.
5. Place dough in greased bowl. Turn to grease top, cover and place in a warm location for 1-1/2 hours to rise.
6. After dough rises, punch down and divide into 3 sections.
7. Roll each section into a 12-inch circle (not ball). Cut each circle into 8 wedges. Brush with melted butter.
8. Roll wedges starting at wide end and place on greased or parchment papered baking sheet.
9. In a warm location, cover rolls and let rise double-the-size for approximately 30 minutes.
10. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
11. Serve warm with freshly whipped, organic butter.
Creating a truly beautiful and delicious Thanksgiving table filled with unforgettable homemade recipes, stuffings and pies are what being together are all about. You can always purchase a standard boxed pie at Grand Traverse Pies and call it your own. But, the sincerest satisfaction, appreciation and magnificent flavors just don’t compare to that cordial, homemade goodness.
Fabulous Thanksgiving meals don’t have to be difficult or confusing. These recipes are simple and organized for the novice to the seasoned chef to enjoy. Create wonderful traditions by getting the kids involved. Adding heart and soul to homemade foods turns ordinary Thanksgiving meals into heartwarming memories to cherish.
From our thankful table to yours, happy cooking and Thanksgiving Day to all.